I thought it was the parking lot to the one dollar ice cream. Turns out it was the town of Pine Bushes annual car show. Two Sister Missionaries pulling up front and center in our silver Chevy Malibu. Awesome. And now please excuse me while my companion gets out to back me up, good thing she was Miss Hyrum and she has that smile and wave thing down.
Oh so much to say, so much to say. Hello! This week was a speedy one because so much seemed to happen. I gotta say I am learning so much about myself and who I am as an individual here in this world and as a daughter of God. It amazes me, but the most amazing part about it is how I can connect with myself and my Father in Heaven when I love and serve these amazing women out here. In the words of a wise mother "... I feel like when I am out in the world with people, I can see my own spirit through theirs. It's like a mirror for me, I can see myself more clearly when my spirit connects with someone else's..." Whether it's my companion, an Investigator, or a member of the church, watching women strive to make and keep sacred covenants with the Lord is the most empowering thing.
Speaking of covenant women. Who is excited for Women's Conference!? EMMA. CYNTHIA. MEREDITH. VIVIAN. MOM. AMY WHITING. SHA NAY NAY. BARBISHA. MOE. I want a report on what you loved about it and where you went to eat after. ;) Deal? Any other ladies who read this please feel free too as well.
This past Saturday was the big Hamptonburgh Fall Festival! Wahoo! A women in our Ward is on the committee so she recruited my and Sister Toones skills and had us face paint all day. It was a blast. The day previous we went down and washed probably 100 pumpkins for the pumpkins painting booth and it was freezing. It felt like a Winter festival! ;) Anyways it was a good way for us to be seen and have some good gospel conversations. I was in heaven [mostly because it just felt like I was kickin it at the wasatch fall festival. Good days]
Our dear Investigator Sheryl. She is the nanny of 3 young kids. When we found her we knew right away that someone had been preparing her for a long time to receive the restored gospel. She doesn't have furniture to sit on so we go outside to have our lessons. We plop down on the sidewalk in the middle of the ghetto and talk about Jesus Christ. Let me tell you, I have never felt the spirit so strong as when I am blessed to teacher Sheryl and these three amazing kids. Two days ago my heart was ready to burst with love for this women as she accepted the invitation to be baptized! I am so excited for her and for the light that will continue to come into her life as she makes these sacred covenants.
We have have met with Danielle a few times this week and she is doing well. Yesterday she really opened up to us and shared some of her past. As I heard these stories come out of her mouth I pleaded with God "what do you want me to say!?" It was then when my father in Heaven invited me to put my faith in him and the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I learned a valuable lesson as I bore testimony to Danielle that through the atonement of Jesus Christ she and the rest of us can be healed. I am constantly amazed by where Danielle has been and now where she is going. :)
Two near death experiences in one week folks. The first happened last Thursday as we were making our long journey home through the twisty roads of upstate New York. I had my brights on to better illuminate the road and my surroundings but as a car came to pass by me on the other side of the road i graciously turned them off as soon as the car passed I turned them back on. As soon as the lights lit up my view again I saw a huge deer in front of me! I slammed on my breaks a swerved to the side as it leaped out of the way. The Elders were driving behind me luckily. I had to pull off because I was shaking so bad and Sister Toone had to take over the wheel. It was nuts. Good thing the Lord is looking out for his missionaries.
Second experience....Yesterday morning held quite the adventure for Sister Toone and I.... 6:20am the alarm goes off and I crawl into the fetal position to pray. 6:30am we are pulling clothes and shoes on to our zombie bodies. 6:35am pray again before we leave the apartment. 6:40am outside ready to run.... Well maybe not completely... 10 feet into our run I realize I had forgotten to throw on the one important thing, a sports bra. Darn it. I said "Sister? Looks like we are going to have to stick to a brisk walk this morning." About 15 minutes into our "brisk walk" a moment I had been preparing for for my whole life came all at once. I have read books, listen to lectures, a dreamt about this time to shine. I was off in my own little world when Sister Toone grabs my arm and I look into her eyes to see her glance off with sheer terror, just as my eyes leave hers to look at what she is looking at I hear the words "That's a BEAR" slip from her lips. There I see it. A monster of a thing. Big and black. Sister Toone and I stop in our tracks. This would be the time that all the knowledge I have acquired over the years about bear safety would come into action but nope it went all down the drain in an instant and all I could think of was Jim Gaffigans advice to "Cover myself in honey. Climb up on a dinner plate and play dead." We stood there like sitting ducks for what seems like a millennium until a car passing by scared the beast into our direction in a full on sprint! The car rolled down its windows as it passed and some man yelled out to us "RUN!!" It was like I forgot how to run... My clumsy converse shuffled around in the moist grass but before the bear is across the street the fight or flight reflexes kicked in and Sister Toone and I are flying down the slippery slope to our apartments. Just imagine it, a big black bear chasing two white sister missionaries in the hood of upstate. All I can say is, so much for our "brisk walk". Oh the things you see in New York.
Wowzas this was a long one, but I hope you enjoyed it. I thank God everyday that he has given me to be a missionary out here in New York, it is a glorious calling and it works me real good. All is well with Sister Checketts. I love you. Talk to you next week! XO
Love, Sister Checketts
P.S. I love you Mom & Dad. I love you Layton & Nile. I love you Elder Checketts, Elder Udell, Emma, Winnie, Seth, Meredith, & Vivian.
PRAYER ROLL:
Danielle: strength to change
Tracy: will be able to come to the women's broadcast
Helen: will have to faith to continue to prepare to go to the temple
Abi: will get a job
Sheryl: will get answers to her prayers








No comments:
Post a Comment